Ujjwala Yojana led to social transformation Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
• There are serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuels. According to WHO estimates, about 5 lakh deaths in India alone due to unclean cooking fuels.
• Providing LPG connections to BPL households ensured universal coverage of cooking gas in the country. This measure empowered women and protected their health.
• Till 2014, 13 crore families got LPG connection. This means, for over six decades the figure stood at 13 crore. It was mostly the rich people who got LPG connections.
• In the last 4 years, 10 crore new connections have been added and the poor benefited.
• The LPG reach is now 100 per cent in 70% villages and more than 75% in 81% villages.
• During the recent ‘Gram Swaraj Yojana’, 11 lakh people received LPG connection in one day.
• This initiative is playing a central role in social empowerment.