Preparatory tips for Geology Optional subject for UPSC 2018
One such optional subject which is not common and not opted by most of the IAS aspirants is Geology. This subject is a scoring subject but needs particular attention as there are lots of techniques which are involved while preparing this subject. This article will inform you everything about this subject which can be opting as an optional subject by IAS aspirants.
Geology is best for:-
This subject should be taken by those aspirants who had this subject in their graduation and possess in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.
Advantages of taking Geology as an optional subject:-
- Very scoring subject.
- Being a scientific subject, you don’t have to study the subject in details like the other theoretical subjects such as history or political science.
- Preparation should be to the point as well as the writing answer pattern.
- Easily understandable.
Disadvantages of taking Geology as an optional subject:-
- It is mandatory to have previous knowledge about the subject as it is entirely a specialized subject.
- The syllabus is vast which is time eating.
- You should be passionate about the subject.
Guidelines for Geology:-
- Paper 1 encompasses paleontology, geotectonic, geomorphology, etc.
- Paper II – questions are mostly asked from the topics- mineralogy, igneous, geochemistry, and petrology and metamorphic, etc.
- You have to concentrate ore genesis, mineral revelation, etc.
- Even focus on the environmental geology.
- Environmental geology is also important.
- It is recommended that you focus on mineral revelation, ore genesis, Indian mineral silt, etc.
- You can expect questions from mineral trading and lending, the geology of energies, designing topography, groundwater science, underground water examination, issues and administration, incident and designation of water.
- In this optional, no topic should be left uncovered.
We hope that this article will be helpful and you can know opt for this scientific subject once you are cent percent sure.