• Formed in 2001, BRICS comprises of 5 major emerging economies, representing a significant share of world’s production and population.
• A recap
Building upon “Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future”, BRICS leaders adopted a Xiamen Declaration by consensus.
• Reflective of the core priorities
Being held in Johannesburg, the 10th BRICS Summit aims for the members to strive towards the creation of an inclusive society and global partnerships that will bring prosperity to all humankind.
• Sustained cooperation among BRICS members is predicated on three levels or ‘tracks’ of interaction.… Read more
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
• There are serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuels. According to WHO estimates, about 5 lakh deaths in India alone due to unclean cooking fuels.
• Providing LPG connections to BPL households ensured universal coverage of cooking gas in the country. This measure empowered women and protected their health.
• Till 2014, 13 crore families got LPG connection. This means, for over six decades the figure stood
• Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, popularly known as Swatantryaveer or Veer Savarkar was born on May 28, 1883.
• He was a pro-independence activist who fought against British Government.
• When he was 15, he organised a youth organisation to advocate nationalist ideas.
• While pursuing his B.A from Fergusson College in Pune, he was inspired by Lokamanya Tilak’s announcement to boycott British clothes. He went a step ahead and on October 7, 1905, during Dusshera, he set up a bonfire (holi) and burnt all his foreign clothes and goods.
• He was arrested in 1909 on charges of plotting an